Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Lemonade and Dennis the Menace

My boys are adorable and sweet and make me laugh at least 20 times a day. Sometimes even when I am so mad at them I have to try to keep a straight face because they are so damn cute and I just want to smile or laugh but I know that would ruin my point. I am, after all, their mother, the adult in the group...

The younger one has an extraordinary way of causing innocent mischief. This seems more like an oxymoron, but what can I do? For example, today Evan wanted to make lemonade with me. I showed the boys how to make their own homemade lemonade over the weekend and now they love it. They even go into the garden and add a sprig of mint to it. SO today I obliged and Evan and I sat outside and did "cheers" with our cups. Then he said, "hey mom it's just you and me right?" He has a cute way of saying that expression when we have our one or two days together, when he is not in school. He really gets a kick out of our alone time. Jake was so used to having me all to himself his first 3 1/2 years that I don't think he savored it as much.

Then Evan decides that we should have a picnic-style lunch and eat outside on the patio. Again, I oblige and get the food together. His lunch consists of turkey and chips and salsa. I go inside to get something when all of a sudden a little wind comes through and knocks the paper plate toward the sliding glass door ( and big brother Jake just cleaned them all so expertly for me.)Evan says "Oh my gosh!" I look and see that there is now turkey and salsa on the slider and the floor. He comes in, after I go out to him to assure him he is not in trouble and it is not his fault. He wants to help me. So he finds window cleaner and presents it to me as I am trying to wipe everything up outside. He has trouble with the sprayer so I fixed it for him. I'm on floor duty and he is doing pretty good with the sliding glass door. I see he needs more paper towel so I run into get him more. That's when even more calamity ensues and is pretty typical of him. Evan opened up the window cleaner and it spilled all over the floor. SO now he is really alarmed and I feel my temperature rising as I know it is soon time to leave to pick up Jake from school. I have to work fast so I get some towels and a mop and the hose. I try to hose down the patio and wipe it up. Meanwhile Evan is trying out his newest stunt , jumping from the coffee table to the couch, landing upside down. Of course now I am screaming. Evan laughs and gives me an innocent smile and tells me he loves me. I regain my cool, and finish the task. I walk into the kitchen and Evan is helping himself to more lemonade. Luckilly he doesn't spill it.

No comments:

Post a Comment